Monday, April 22, 2013

Fly Fishing Maldives : Client reports, Dhonakulhi island

We have had a number of clients fly fishing in the Maldives over the past month. Everyone is hooking and landing some good fish including GT's, bluefin trevally and bonefish. Some nice comments below:


Mat,

Great place, family enjoying this place thoroughly. Kids having a ball, released some baby turtles, easter egg hunt, snorkelling etc.  handline fishing competition with my boys v our butler tomorrow afternoon on the dhoni.
Haven't spotted many GTs, but the one I spotted on day 1 was huge, at least 25 kg cruising the cuts along the flats on rising tide.  Scared everything on its path.  As ever, fumbled the cast...one shot only. I had 10 bonefish on the corner of the flats, 3 bluefins from the flats, 2 island / orange spotted trevallies on the flats and a whole host of snappers , groupers from the corals.  

On dhoni, had the big sweet lip on a handline (flyfishing without the rod!), jobfish and white snappers and a big triggerfish.

Overall, a very enjoyable holiday and i even managed to film 2 bonefish swimming onto the flats in amongst the mulllets,  while snorkelling.  

Mr Ling, HK

--------------------------

Mat,

Back from the Maldives - what an awesome place! All I can say is that I am now addicted to GT fishing from the beach. Where else in the world is this possible? 
Caught a dozen or so good sized bonefish, and numerous trevally species. All in, I probably had 10 species on the fly, including hooking (and losing) what I thought was a permit - possible?. Didn't see many GT on the south beach, so spent most days fishing the north. The tides weren't great for early morning or evening fishing as very low at these times. Therefore spent the time after breakfast when tide was on its way up. Cast to 6 or 7 GTs, with two takes. The first time I saw a GT (up close) was following a shark, I cast and it followed, then surged forward and took 4 yards from the end of my rod! I couldn't stop the fish as it bolted 300 yards, and broke the leader. I suspect that it was inexperience on my part if truthful. I had no idea of fish's weight but later saw a similar sized fish at breakfast and was told 30-35kg by my butler (who loved his fishing). I had another follow and even a take from a smaller fish, but it didn't hook. Still, it was the most exciting fishing I have ever experienced.
Thanks for all your advice and looking forward to my trip to Oz.

Mr Barclay, UK

                                 Photo: Courtesy J. Ling.

THERE ARE SOME GREAT DEALS ON THE MALDIVES THROUGH UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON FLY FISHING IN THE MALDIVES CONTACT US ON +441621743711 OR EMAIL: enquiries@flyodyssey.co.uk

No comments: