Monday, October 22, 2007

Alaskan Adventure - Part 1 Steelhead


After a couple of days floating the mighty Kenai River, steelheading on the Alaskan peninsula was something I had been looking forward to. I had always thought of steelheading in the same manner as fishing for Atlantic Salmon. Traditional wetfly methods, skating dries, double handed rods and many casts between fish. How wrong was I on all counts!

My good friend John and I took the opportunity to fish for 3 days on the rivers running into Cook Inlet. As we drove to our first river around 6 in the morning, he regaled me with stories of "11 steelies from 17 hooked" and 36inch fish. John had already spent several days fihsing the run and was desperate to return! Even the passing moose and spectacular scenery could not draw my mind from the fishing possibilities which lay ahead.



To say we scored might be an understatement. We finally tallied out at around 60 sea run rainbows (steelhead!) between us, with almost twice that many hooked. Our fish ranged in size from an impressive 25inch (5lber) to an incredible 38 inch fish we estimate at well over 15lbs! We both landed many fish over 30 inches and I measured at least 3 that I landed over the magical 36.



We were using nymphing techniques as opposed to a more traditional swinging fly and did not stay rooted to any one pool but worked all the water we thought might hold fish. We found pockets of fish and timed the tide push to catch bright chrome fish, with sealice still attached.



I have fished the hard fighting rainbows of the Tongariro here in NZ for many years but bow to the strength of those fresh searunners. These are some of the most incredible fish I have caught and I now understand the addiction which they bring. I did not count lost fish in Alaska but for steelhead I made the exception. The very best day we had, we landed 29 from 40 hooked. Not in my wildest dreams do I believe I may emulate that feat again but I am surely going to try.



Flyodyssey is returning in September 2008 to Alaska. The trip will involve a host and fishing with a guide. Several days will be allocated to floating the Kenai for large rainbows and Dolly Varden. Places will be limited so please email me as soon as possible to express your interest and secure a place. Alaskan steelheading is something you must experience!

No comments: