Thursday, March 22, 2012

Maldives Fly Fishing: Dhonakulhi Report

Duncan Goldsmith reports on his recent fly fishing trip to Dhonakulhi Island in the Maldives..

Having returned from the Maldives, I’ve just had time to down load the pictures from my camera, and spent a happy half hour reliving the experiences of my favourite salt water trip to date.

The resort and the facilities could not be bettered. That sounds a pretty big statement, and I know everyone’s idea of ideal is different, but that’s mine, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be alone in that. To achieve the level of service and attention to detail, but maintaining the tranquillity and feeling that you are on your own island is incredible. And that’s how it feels – that you are on your own island.



True to form we covered the available work surfaces in the villa with enough fishing tackle to start a small business. I like to try as many different types of fishing that a place has to offer, but as usual, the week disappeared so quickly, some of the gear will have to wait till next time. The accommodation was of a very high standard and I couldn’t have added anything.



Fly fishing consisted of either stalking the variety of flats species on offer, including some stunning blue fin, striped and spotted trevally, that gave exceptional sport on light tackle, to targeting the GT’s. This has to be some of the most exciting saltwater sport available, and whilst it was my first opportunity to pursue them, wont be the last! Watching an 80lbs GT approach you, and then home in and smash into the fly has to one of life’s top fishing moments. Sadly, the one fish I managed to hit wasn’t hooked hard enough but I was.

Switching to the boats for a couple of trips added a variety of other species to the rapidly growing tally. Goat fish, more blue fins, a variety of snappers, grouper and needle fish, and two GT’s all falling to light and heavy spinning tackle, mainly using poppers on the surface. I think everyone in the group achieved success in some form. The potential for trolling, jigging or plugging for other deeper water species was obvious but we didn’t explore it, as was the potential to use fly fishing tactics while drifting.


It seems to have become a tradition to indulge in a spot of night fishing and the resorts service pier didn’t disappoint. More fish were added to a list of species that we estimated had now past the 30 mark.

The fishing was challenging, which is how I like it. The opportunities to target a variety of species using different methods were endless. The surroundings in which to do it were stunning. It is the sort of place that you would always be learning.



The format was relaxed. An exceptional breakfast buffet usually setting us up for the day as we discussed who would fish where. The evening meal was of an equal standard and again, very casual and relaxed as we swapped accounts of the days events.

Its always an interesting test of your experience of a place when you get the inevitable question ‘ would you go back?’. Some places I’ve been I would say no, I’d rather try somewhere different. Some places I’ve earmarked for another visit at some stage.

My response to this trip is easy – I’d go back tomorrow!

No comments: