Saturday, March 17, 2012

New Zealand Fly Fishing Hosted Trip: Client review

Fly fishing the McKenzie Region , New Zealand ,with Fly Odyssey – February 2012

All good things come to pass and as I sat with Dorma and Matt at Queenstown airport, awaiting my departure back to Perth, talk was scant. For we had all enjoyed a fabulous week fishing the famous McKenzie region and words were unnecessary for they really could not convey the terrific week we had enjoyed. The icing on the cake was a magic day on the upper reaches of a river in which all the planets aligned. The Cicadas were in song, the wind was absent, the sky was a clear blue and the fish were hungry. Four of us fished that day and we all caught fish over 8 lb! All fish were caught on the dry fly by first being sighted. My fishing partner, Paul Proctor, and myself caught our biggest wild trout that day. The experience has probably bonded us for life. It was indeed the best days fly fishing I have ever experienced. As I said, that day was the icing on the cake. We had pretty good weather all week and had fished a large variety of water from spring creeks to glacial fed rivers. Steve Carey proved a very affable guide and all the “Poms” ( and I'm sort of one myself] got along like wildfire. There were a few “boozy” nights recounting past fishing excursions.... Nothing was taboo. Matt proved a pretty useful cook for an Ozzie come Kiwi come Pom. My thanks to him and the boys, Pedro, Paul and the extraordinary Dorma for what can only be called a fishing trip of a lifetime.

Cavan McCann



No comments: